Concept

Wanstrow

Summary
Wanstrow is a village and civil parish south west of Frome in the Mendip district of Somerset, England. The parish includes the village of Cloford. History The name of the village comes from the Old English and means Waendel's tree. The Bishop of Wells had an estate in the parish before the Norman Conquest which supported a prebend at Wells Cathedral. The estate was split in two with one first called East Wanstrow, and later Church Wanstrow supporting Wells Cathedral and West Wanstrow, Wanstrow Rogers and Wanstrow Buller was given by Hugh Sexey to support the hospital at Bruton. The parish was part of the hundred of Frome. The village was involved in the production of coarse earthenware, using clay dug on Wanstrow Common, until 1826. Governance The parish council has responsibility for local issues, including setting an annual precept (local rate) to cover the council’s operating costs and producing annual accounts for public
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading