Concept

West Pennard

Summary
West Pennard (or West Pennard Manor) is a village and civil parish east of Glastonbury, situated at the foot of Pennard Hill, in the Mendip district of Somerset, England. The parish includes the hamlets of Coxbridge and Woodlands. History The village takes its name from the Old Welsh pen ard meaning high hill. The manor was granted to Glastonbury Abbey by the king of the Mercians in 681, and was held by the Abbey until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539. It was then granted to Edward Seymour, Duke of Somerset in 1547 until his execution when it reverted to the Crown and leased to successive members of the Rogers family until 1628 when it was sold to Thomas Howard, Earl of Berkshire. West Pennard features a number of historical settlements. Old Farmhouse, East Street dates from the mid 14th century and features crucks. Other sites such as Higher Southtown Farm, Pennard Farm (~1640), and Manor Farmhouse, Coxbridge were significantly
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading