Concept

West Heslerton

Summary
West Heslerton is a village and former civil parish in North Yorkshire, England, southeast of Pickering. The village lies within the historic county boundaries of the East Riding of Yorkshire. In 1931 the parish had a population of 308. The village was named on early maps as Heslerton Magna. Etymology The village name is thought to be derived from the Old English words hæsel ('hazel'), or a derivative thereof, and the word tūn ('enclosure'). Thus it once meant "hazel enclosure". History The village is the site of one of Britain's largest archaeological excavations, that of a large settlement which seems to have been occupied for several centuries until about 800 AD. The settlement flourished during late Roman/early Anglo-Saxon times, but may have been occupied for a considerable length of time before the arrival of Romans in Britain. The site covers over and contains the traces of more than 200 buildings. Excavations of Cook's Quarry in the village, unearthed
About this result
This page is automatically generated and may contain information that is not correct, complete, up-to-date, or relevant to your search query. The same applies to every other page on this website. Please make sure to verify the information with EPFL's official sources.
Related publications

Loading

Related people

Loading

Related units

Loading

Related concepts

Loading

Related courses

Loading

Related lectures

Loading