Concept

West Heslerton

Résumé
West Heslerton is a village and former civil parish in North Yorkshire, England, southeast of Pickering. The village lies within the historic county boundaries of the East Riding of Yorkshire. In 1931 the parish had a population of 308. The village was named on early maps as Heslerton Magna. Etymology The village name is thought to be derived from the Old English words hæsel ('hazel'), or a derivative thereof, and the word tūn ('enclosure'). Thus it once meant "hazel enclosure". History The village is the site of one of Britain's largest archaeological excavations, that of a large settlement which seems to have been occupied for several centuries until about 800 AD. The settlement flourished during late Roman/early Anglo-Saxon times, but may have been occupied for a considerable length of time before the arrival of Romans in Britain. The site covers over and contains the traces of more than 200 buildings. Excavations of Cook's Quarry in the village, unearthed
À propos de ce résultat
Cette page est générée automatiquement et peut contenir des informations qui ne sont pas correctes, complètes, à jour ou pertinentes par rapport à votre recherche. Il en va de même pour toutes les autres pages de ce site. Veillez à vérifier les informations auprès des sources officielles de l'EPFL.
Publications associées

Chargement

Personnes associées

Chargement

Unités associées

Chargement

Concepts associés

Chargement

Cours associés

Chargement

Séances de cours associées

Chargement