Concept

St. Mary's Church, Grodno

Résumé
St. Mary's Church (Касцёл Найсвяцейшай Дзевы Марыі; Švenčiausios Mergelės Marijos bažnyčia; Kościół Najświętszej Maryi Panny) was a parish church (fara) in the city of Grodno. It was founded by Vytautas, Grand Duke of Lithuania before 1389. Because of its founder, it was commonly referred to as Vytautas' Church (Фара Вітаўта; Vytauto bažnyčia; fara witoldowa). Rebuilt as a Gothic church around 1494, it was one of Grodno's principal Catholic churches until Soviet rule after World War II. Neglected, it was finally demolished in 1961. History The exact date of its consecration remains unknown, it was first mentioned in a royal privilege for the local Jewish community issued in 1389. The original church was a wooden structure, one of several dozens of such churches founded throughout Lithuania by newly-Christianised rulers of the state. As such, the church was to spread Catholic faith in a predominantly-Orthodox city. In 1494 Grand Duke (and later King of Poland) Alexander Jagie
À propos de ce résultat
Cette page est générée automatiquement et peut contenir des informations qui ne sont pas correctes, complètes, à jour ou pertinentes par rapport à votre recherche. Il en va de même pour toutes les autres pages de ce site. Veillez à vérifier les informations auprès des sources officielles de l'EPFL.
Publications associées

Aucun résultat

Personnes associées

Chargement

Unités associées

Chargement

Concepts associés

Chargement

Cours associés

Chargement

Séances de cours associées

Chargement