No. 41 Wing of the Royal Flying Corps (RFC), later the Royal Air Force (RAF), was a division which conducted strategic bombing operations against Germany during the First World War.History
41 Wing was created on 11 October 1917
under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Cyril Newall. It was based at Ochey in France. Its initial composition was:
No. 55 Squadron flying DH.4s
No. 100 Squadron flying F.E.2b's
No. 16 (Naval) Squadron flying O/100s.
The wing was subsequently augmented with:
No. 99 Squadron flying DH4s
No. 104 Squadron flying DH4s
Preparations for bombing missions started immediately and only six days later two flights of de Havilland aircraft conducted the Flying Corps' first long-range bombing mission. The Burbach iron foundry was hit, as were other buildings and railway lines. A week later Handley Page aircraft of the 41st Wing conducted the first night-time long range operation. Bombing continued into November, until the onset of winter weather.No
Cette page est générée automatiquement et peut contenir des informations qui ne sont pas correctes, complètes, à jour ou pertinentes par rapport à votre recherche. Il en va de même pour toutes les autres pages de ce site. Veillez à vérifier les informations auprès des sources officielles de l'EPFL.