The K-50 telephone repair trucks were used by the U.S. Army Signal Corps, during and after World War II, for the installation and repair of hard telephone lines, primarily in territories liberated from Nazi Germany by the Allied forces.
The Signal Corps, at the beginning of World War II needed a light telephone repair truck, and contracted initially with GMC-Chevrolet, and later with Dodge / Fargo, for truck chassis to mount a standard American Telephone & Telegraph tool box bed. The original bed was styled after the Streamline Moderne motif of the 1930s. The second style bed, the K-50B, was a more utilitarian square box, that mounted the ladder on the top rather than on the side. It was often used in conjunction with the K-38 trailer. All were eventually replaced by the Dodge M37 series V-41 trucks.
The initial trucks were 1/2-ton, rear-wheel driven GMC-Chevrolet units, supplied under two contracts, in 1940 and 1941 respectively. All later K-50 and K-50B trucks wer