HMS Dacres (K472) was a , built in the United States as a , and transferred to the Royal Navy under the terms of Lend-Lease, which served in World War II.
The ship was laid down as Duffy (DE-268) on 7 April 1943 by the Boston Navy Yard, Boston, Massachusetts, and launched on 19 May 1943. Transferred to the Royal Navy and commissioned as Dacres on 28 August 1943, the ship was named after Vice Admiral James Richard Dacres (1749–1810).
Dacres was attached to the B4 Escort Group based at Belfast, which comprised three destroyers and two Captain-class frigates ( and ), and carried out escort duties in the Atlantic.
Dacres was one of three Captain-class ships (along with and ) selected for conversion to headquarters ships for use during "Operation Neptune" – the invasion of France. Her aft three-inch (76 mm) gun and all the depth charge gear was removed and the superstructure extended to provide accommodation for extra staff officers; two deck houses were b