Al-Majdal (المجدل, "tower", also transliterated Majdal, Majdil and Mejdel) was a Palestinian Arab village, located on the western shore of the Sea of Galilee ( below sea level), north of Tiberias and south of Khan Minyeh. It is identified with the site of the ancient Jewish town of Magdala, reputed to be the birthplace of Mary Magdalene, destroyed by the Romans during the First Jewish-Roman War.
Christian pilgrims wrote of their visits to see the house and church of Mary Magdalene from the 6th century onward, but little is known about the village in the Mamluk and early Ottoman period, indicating it was likely small or uninhabited. In the 19th century, Western travellers interested in the biblical history of Palestine documented their observations of Al-Majdal, generally describing it as a very small and poor Muslim village. In 1910–11, Zionists founded Migdal adjacent to Al-Majdal.