Concept

Forest Hill, Oxfordshire

Résumé
Forest Hill is a village in Forest Hill with Shotover civil parish in Oxfordshire, about east of Oxford. The village which is about above sea level is on the northeastern brow of a ridge of hills. The highest point of the ridge is Red Hill, which rises to just south of the village. The 2011 Census recorded Forest Hill with Shotover's population as 856. Manor The toponym is derived from the Old English forst-hyll meaning "hill ridge". It has no etymological connection with forests. The Domesday Book records that in 1086 William the Conqueror's half-brother Odo, Bishop of Bayeux held Forest Hill. He had two manors, of which Roger d'Ivry held the larger and Ilbert de Lacy held the smaller. The d'Ivry manor changed hands and was divided. By 1242–43 one part had been bestowed upon the Augustinian Chalcombe Priory in Northamptonshire. The other part was bestowed upon the Benedictine Studley Priory, Oxfordshire. Both priories retained their respective holdings until the Dissolu
À propos de ce résultat
Cette page est générée automatiquement et peut contenir des informations qui ne sont pas correctes, complètes, à jour ou pertinentes par rapport à votre recherche. Il en va de même pour toutes les autres pages de ce site. Veillez à vérifier les informations auprès des sources officielles de l'EPFL.
Publications associées

Chargement

Personnes associées

Chargement

Unités associées

Chargement

Concepts associés

Chargement

Cours associés

Chargement

Séances de cours associées

Chargement